“Never fall in love with a person with a substance abuse problem because that drug will always be the other woman.” ~ Unknown
So to follow your interest, here is a little more on the subject of addiction. Specifically, substance abuse. These addictions can be subtle, silent and not always easy to spot.
Here are some clues:
- Minimizing. The common refrain is, “I can stop anytime I want.” Hiding the use of substances is also a major clue.
- Belligerence and intimidation. Mean-spiritedness usually leads to people feeling as though they must “walk on eggshells” around the person.
- Lying and promise-breaking. Both hallmarks of substance abuse or addiction, these include the oft-made (and broken) promise to “never do it again,” whatever “it” is.
- Recurring financial difficulties. You may witness repeated money crises, a lot of borrowing and a general sense that the person is “digging a hole.”
- Mood swings. While this may have other origins, it often stems directly from the contrast of being under the influence (happy, calm, outgoing) or not (irritable, angry, withdrawn).
- Lack of self-responsibility. Someone abusing substances will tend to habitually blame others for the negative circumstances in which they find themselves.
- Sense of entitlement. A common attitude is, “The rules don’t apply to me.” Justifying illegal or immoral actions because “I deserve it” is another form of entitlement.
- Oblivious to negative effects. No matter how far down they sink, people who abuse alcohol or drugs often do not seem to “get” how bad things are or how much they affect the people that love them.
- Surrounded by enablers. Someone abusing alcohol or drugs likes to be around people who will cover up, make excuses for, or “rescue” them.
- Thriving on turmoil. While there may be lots of trauma and drama, professed goals are never reached and there is little to show for all the “excitement.”
Make This Note:
All substance abuse eventually destroys your life to include your health, finances, relationships and for sure your happiness.
If you have questions or comments, I’d love to hear from you.
So for now … I’ll get down on the floor and get my yoga On!
Check out my Gentle ‘You’ Yoga & Dreams retreat this November.